Robert M. (Bert) Villarini
- Sports Law
- Workers' Compensation
Robert M. (Bert) Villarini, a partner in the firm, is a former Erie County Assistant District Attorney who concentrates his practice in Sports Law, Workers' Compensation and Labor Law.
He has extensive experience in sports law, including labor arbitration/grievance, negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, injury grievance, workers' compensation, and insurance disability. He was a member of the negotiating team for collective bargaining agreements in the American Hockey League, International Hockey League, and the East Coast Hockey League. He has successfully gained awards for clients in excess of several million dollars. He has represented players in the National Football League, National Hockey League, American Hockey League, East Coast Hockey League, Major League Baseball, Indoor Lacrosse and the Arena Football League.
Mr. Villarini is consulted regularly on issues related to player injuries throughout professional sports. He is the founder and co-chairman of the Professional Hockey Players Association Workers' Compensation Panel and a member of the National Football League Players Association Workers' Compensation Panel.
In 1994 he was awarded the "Lawyer of the Year" by the National Football League Players Association Workers' Compensation Panel and in 1995 "Lawyer of the Year" by the Professional Hockey Players Association. Since 1994 he has lectured regularly on issues related to professional athletes' injuries.
In addition to assisting in the negotiations of collective bargaining agreements in the IHL and AHL, he helped organize the East Coast Hockey Players and negotiated their first ever collective bargaining agreement.
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1984
- Siena College, Loudonville, NY
- New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1985
- National Football League Players Association/Workers' Compensation Lawyer of the Year
- Professional Hockey Players Association/Workers' Compensation Lawyer of the Year
- Professional Hockey Players Association
- Richard Berthleson - NFLPA'S
- Erie County District Attorneys Office, Assistant District Attorney, 1985 to 1988
- Erie County Legislature, Legislator, 1991 to 1996
- Professional Hockey Players Association Workers' Compensation Panel , Founder and Co-Chairman
- National Football League Players Association Workers' Compensation Panel, Member
Current Employment Position